4 lb beef short ribs
Coarse salt and black pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 C bourbon
1 C barbeque sauce
1 lg yellow onion halved and sliced
3/4 C water
1. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper
2. In a large saute pan over medium high heat, warm oil until almost smoking
3. Add half the ribs and brown on all sides 7 to 8 minutes. Remove to plate.
4. Repeat with remaining ribs
5. Return ribs to slow cooker.
6. Add onion, barbecue sauce, bourbon and water.
7. Cover and cook on low until meat nearly falls off the bone about 6 hours.
8. Over medium high heat, grill ribs until nicely grill marked about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter.
9. Serve with barbecue sauce on the side.
"Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cook-ing," Capt. Dick May's newest cookbook, can be ordered at www.Ama-zon.com. Go to "Cook-books," then to the "Food and Wine" category. Type in "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" and click. A picture of the cookbook, price and information for ordering will be displayed.